Monday 11 June 2012

More about Juliet Lockhart and her exhibition


Juliet Lockhart
Culpeper Series

 I asked Juliet to explain the ideas and thoughts behind her work on platform 2:

"A sense of place and the myriad of stories that lie within are paramount in my work.
 The Culpeper series was made at a time when my two children and I had to leave our home and find a new place to settle.  It was not a move that any of us really wanted.  One of the hardest things to leave were the plants that I had grown and nurtured in the garden.  All the plants used in the images come from the garden there.
 At the time I was thinking about those times in our lives when we lose our voice.  Whether it is taken from us, or we chose to lock it deep inside of ourselves or it becomes the struggle to express what we feel, many of use experience this lose to some degree.
 So I turned to Culpeper to discover what plants he used to treat all things oral, ailments of mouth and throat.  I layered his story with mine and that of my children.
 More than ten years later when I am revisiting these images I am still wondering and working with those whose voice has been lost for whatever reason.
 Much of my work is site specific and always includes story.  The work either springs from a tale or becomes the inspiration for a new telling.  Culpeper features again in these two pieces with thistles and roses.  The work also reflects my passion for all forms of puppetry; shadows make their presence known in this tale of betrayal, jealousy and a timely reminder that revenge is best served cold.

To find out more about Juliet and to explore more of her work visit:

No comments:

Post a Comment